Extended BIOS translation (worth disabling?)

Peter Holzer hjp at wsr.ac.at
Thu Feb 5 07:11:03 PST 1998

On Thu, Feb 05, 1998 at 08:26:05AM -0600, Mike Isely wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Feb 1998, Peter Holzer wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 04, 1998 at 05:50:26PM -0600, Rob Browning wrote:
> > >   1) Is there any benefit (performance or other) from the unix
> > >      perspective to turning the option off?
> > No.
> Yes.  With translation off, you get finer granualarity of control in
> fdisk.  You can partition down to 1MB granualarity instead of about 7MB.

Yup. For some reason Linux fdisk (like DOS fdisk) only lets you start
partitions at cylinder boundaries. I have considered dusting off Minix
fdisk several times, but these days I don't care about a few wasted
Megabytes any more, and I haven't had to rebuild strange partition
tables for some time.

	hp

--
   _  | Peter J. Holzer             | If I were God, or better yet
|_|_) | Sysadmin WSR                | Linus, I would ...
__/   | http://wsrx.wsr.ac.at/~hjp/ |        (davidsen at tmr.com)