Extended BIOS translation (worth disabling?)

Rob Browning rlb at cs.utexas.edu
Wed Feb 4 15:50:37 PST 1998

I hope it's OK to ask this here, but I didn't find any relevant info
in the source, or the SCSI HOWTOs.  I'm happy to RTFM if someone will
point out the M.

I currently have translation enabled, which, as I understand it, means
that the drives appear to have a different geometry than they actually
do so that DOS can access drives > 1GB.

I'm about to install a new HD in the machine, and my questions are:

  1) Is there any benefit (performance or other) from the unix
     perspective to turning the option off?  (I realize that this will
     mean repartitioning the existing drives).

  2) If I do turn it off, will I still be able to use the drives from
     Win95, as long as I keep the DOS partitions under the 1024K
     boundary on each drive?

Thanks

--
Rob Browning <rlb at cs.utexas.edu>