Booting Problems Linux2.0.34 AIC5.0.14

Steffen Grunewald steffen at gfz-potsdam.de
Wed Dec 16 23:29:04 PST 1998

|> On Wed, 16 Dec 1998, William Montgomery wrote:
|>
|> > I am having trouble with the AIC7XXX driver in Linux 2.0.34, Slackware
|> > distribution.  The driver is AIC7XXX_C_VERSION  "5.0.14".  The hardware
|> > platform is a Pentium Pro 200Mhz.
|> >
|> > I have 3 devices connected to the SCSI bus:
|> >   Vendor: PLEXTOR   Model: CD-ROM PX-32TS    Rev: 1.02
|> >   Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
|> > Detected scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
|> >   Vendor: SONY      Model: SDT-9000          Rev: 0123
|> >   Type:   Sequential-Access                  ANSI SCSI revision: 02
|> > Detected scsi tape st0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 1, lun 0
|> >   Vendor: SEAGATE   Model: ST34520N          Rev: 1281
|> >   Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 02
|> > Detected scsi disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 4, lun 0
|> >
|> > I boot from sda.  Most of the time the scsi disk is NOT detected,
|> > out of 10 tries, 1-2 times it is detected.  I am getting DID_TIME_OUT
|> > when scan_scsis_single() runs.

Sorry, but I missed the first message...

Remembers me of my last try to install SuSE5.3 from CD (CDROM @ ID 6,
disks @ ID 0 and 1). I had to switch the CDROM drive to ID 2 to access
it. This with kernel 2.0.35 and AHA1542B (quite old, quite reliable and
I thought quite stable driver). Didn't explore that further.

Did you try to re-jumper your CD-ROM to 2 and the disk to 0 ?

Steffen
--
Steffen Grunewald = steffen(at)gfz-potsdam.de = fax +49-331-288-1266
My opinions are mine. You can rent them. Just ask me for prices  :-)