File corruption: how to find the guilty?

Doug Ledford dledford at redhat.com
Wed Dec 16 12:01:22 PST 1998

Andy Dougherty wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Dec 1998, Doug Ledford wrote:
>
> > > I have a Linux box which shows random corruption of files.
>
> > > I wonder what to do? Change the disk? The SCSI controller? The kernel?
>
> > It's memory corruption.  I've seen this float through this list or that about
> > 30 different times in the past.  Not once has it ever been a kernel or driver
> > issue.  In *every* case it has been either RAM, cache, or CPU.  Check the CPU
> > fan, check the cache (if it isn't part of the CPU) and check your RAM.
>
> I'd tend to agree.  Still, I can offer a counter example.  Some time ago,
> I had file corruption on an Iomega Jaz drive when tagged queueing was
> enabled.  (I think this was the late 4.x driver series, but I'm not sure.)
> I can no longer test it, however, since my Jaz drive has since broken
> (followed by about 4 warranty replacements breaking too) and I have
> decided it isn't worthwhile to keep relacing it every few months.

This is a totally different issue of Jaz drives silently corrupting data if
tagged queueing is used in firmware version J86 or less (I think that's the
right version).  What's worse, is that the buggy firmware claims to support
tagged queueing in the INQUIRY data.

--
  Doug Ledford   <dledford at redhat.com>
   Opinions expressed are my own, but