Any way to change aic7xxx IRQ assignments?

Randy Gobbel gobbel at andrew.cmu.edu
Sun Dec 13 21:19:59 PST 1998

I tried booting up 2.0.35 to see if my tape drive would work any better with
the older driver, but it wouldn't boot at all because the 2940UW is sharing IRQ
10 with a Promise Ultra 33 IDE controller.  I'm very nervous about this IRQ
sharing thing, because I think the IDE controller may have some IRQ sharing
bugs.  My peace of mind is not helped by the fact that I had filesystem
corruption when I booted back into 2.1.131.  It's not uncommon to get a few
"delete inode had 0 dtime" errors, but this time there were thousands, plus a
few random unattached inodes hanging around.  Not good.  I've also noticed some
momentary mouse-tracking freezes during heavy disk activity, which I never saw
before (serial mouse).

Is there some way to force the aic7xxx driver to use another IRQ?  The current
setup is:

  0:     298223          XT-PIC  timer
  1:       5682          XT-PIC  keyboard
  2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
  3:      29441          XT-PIC  serial
  4:          0          XT-PIC  serial
  5:          0          XT-PIC  Sound Blaster 16
  8:          2          XT-PIC  rtc
  9:          3          XT-PIC  eth0
 10:      62513          XT-PIC  ide2, aic7xxx
 12:     103520          XT-PIC  serial
 13:          1          XT-PIC  fpu
NMI:          0

IRQ 15 is assigned to the other add-on serial port (unused now but will connect
to a GPS), and IRQ 7 is assigned to the parallel port, which has a printer on
it.  Is there some reason why either the 2940UW or the UltraDMA card can't use
IRQ 11 or 14?

-Randy