Async negotiation (Was: 2.0.36/5.1.4 and BIOS settings)

Mike Bilow mikebw at bilow.bilow.uu.ids.net
Tue Dec 8 13:53:37 PST 1998

Osma Ahvenlampi wrote in a message to Mike Bilow:

 OA> My drive says (/proc/scsi/scsi)

 OA> Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 06 Lun: 00
 OA>   Vendor: ARCHIVE  Model: Python 04106-XXX Rev: 715G
 OA>   Type:   Sequential-Access                ANSI SCSI
 OA> revision: 02

 OA> which I would interpret to be Scorpion as far as the above
 OA> document is  concerned, since the revision number is 715G.

Interpret that firmware version as "7.15g" for Seagate purposes.  As far as I
know, all Scorpion-class drives support sync.

Here's an example of what a Diamondback changer would look like:

    Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 06 Lun: 00
      Vendor: ARCHIVE  Model: Python 28849-XXX Rev: 4.CM
      Type:   Sequential-Access                ANSI SCSI revision: 02
    Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 06 Lun: 01
      Vendor: ARCHIVE  Model: Python 28849-XXX Rev: 4.CM
      Type:   Medium Changer                   ANSI SCSI revision: 02

This is major version "4" of the firmware, which also supports sync.  (The
unusual "4.CM" indicates that this particular drive has OEM firmware.)

-- Mike