Async negotiation (Was: 2.0.36/5.1.4 and BIOS settings)

Osma Ahvenlampi oa at spray.fi
Tue Dec 8 07:15:50 PST 1998

Dirk Lutzebaeck <lutzeb at aeccom.com> writes:
> Doug, I was wrong to say "all drives". This is from "System Lockup or
> Freezing problems when running the tape backup" of the Seagate site: (1)
>
>   "Synchronous Negotiation should be disabled for all Python
>    tape drives. Leave Synchronous Negotiation enabled for the
>    Peregrine or Scorpion tape drives."
>
> What confuses me is that my Scorpion STD28000 has a dip switch
> to make the ID-string say it is an ARCHIVE (ie. Python) tape. So it
> would then need to run in async mode?
>
> (1) http://www.seagate.com/support/tape/scsiide/sublinks/s4m_lock.shtml

This page says you can identify the model based on the firmware
revision (which I don't think would change with your dip switch..).

My drive says (/proc/scsi/scsi)

Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 06 Lun: 00
  Vendor: ARCHIVE  Model: Python 04106-XXX Rev: 715G
  Type:   Sequential-Access                ANSI SCSI revision: 02

which I would interpret to be Scorpion as far as the above document is
concerned, since the revision number is 715G.

--
Confucious say too damn much!
Osma Ahvenlampi <oa at spray.fi>