System lockup on Linux

Jay Sissom jsissom at indiana.edu
Fri Dec 4 09:45:14 PST 1998

Hello, I am having a problem with an AHA-2940UW board on a system running
Linux.  Whenever there is a high amount of disk activity, the system will
freeze requiring me to reset the system.  This has happened while writing
a WAV files in real time and while FTPing large files to the system and
away from the system via ethernet.  I can't figure out any pattern on when
it locks up, I just know that if I FTP enough large files it will crash.
Usually the 2nd or 3rd file does it.

Here's the system configuration:

Kernel:  I've tried 2.0.34 from Redhat 5.1, 2.0.35 and 2.0.36.  I've also
tried 2.0.35 and 2.0.36 with the 5.1.4 aic7xxx driver.

Board: Adaptec AHA-2940UW PCI board with 1.34.3 BIOS.  I've tried another
2940UW board with the same results.

Processor: 133Mhz Pentium.  The motherboard is a P5STE Motherboard with
version 1.3 of the AmiBios

Drive: Quantum Viking 4.5 NSE drive set to SCSI ID 6.  When Linux boots it
says Rev 880R and Ansi Rev 02.  This drive is connected to the 50 pin
internal SCSI connector.  Termination is set to auto.  I tried changing
the Enable Wide option in the BIOS to yes and no and I've tried changing
the max sync transfer to 40,20,10 and 5 MB/s, all with the same results.
Right now it's set to 20 because that's what the docs for the drive say it
will support.

Has anyone seen this problem before?  Any idea on how I can go about
fixing it?  I've run fsck more times than I care to! :)

Thanks
Jay