ZIP drive on SCSI segment w/ other devices -- problem or not?

Mike Isely isely at enteract.com
Wed Dec 2 05:59:56 PST 1998

For a month or so I ran a SCSI Insider ZIP with a Quantum Fireball ST
4.3GB drive, hosted from a 2940UW.  The Fireball was running at Ultra
(20MHz) speeds and terminating the bus (ZIP drive was in the middle).  The
kernel version was 2.0.33 with a much older (and buggier) aic7xxx version,
though I can't remember off the top of my head which version it was.

I never experienced any "damage".  I did experience a lot of SCSI timeouts
followed by resets, but in all cases, the driver was able to clean up and
continue, with no data loss.  The timeouts were "relatively" rare but they
did happen with regularity, while accessing the Quantum drive.  If I just
unplugged the ZIP drive from the bus and left everything else exactly the
same, all the timeouts went away.  Disabling Ultra speeds for the Quantum
drive didn't affect the problem.

I also tried the above system but with a SCSI external ZIP drive via a
DB-25 to micro-D50 cable plus a micro-D50 to micro-D68 adapter instead of
the insider ZIP drive.  Of course, the ZIP drive terminated one end of the
bus (and the controller still terminated the high byte).  This
configuration was completely unusable.  The system would boot, but the
error (timeout) rate was far too high.

It's possible the above problems may have been related to the version of
the aic7xxx driver, though I fail to see why disconnecting an otherwise
idle ZIP drive would have an effect in that case.

I've since moved the SCSI Insider ZIP drive to another system with a 3940
(dual channel, non-ultra) controller.  The ZIP drive now shares one bus
with a Nakamichi MJ-8S 4-disc CD changer and an old Tandberg SCSI QIC tape
drive.  (The two Quantum Fireball hard drives on this system share the
other bus).  I'm running kernel 2.0.35 + aic7xxx 5.1.12.  Works perfectly.