ASUS P2B-DS (update)

Jonas Oberg jonas at coyote.org
Sun Aug 30 12:38:57 PDT 1998

> ]Unfortunately, I hadn't connected the cable that was delivered with
> ]the motherboard to the Ultra2 interface, which made that interface be
> ]unterminated. Once I connected that cable, everything worked just fine

... or not.. It seems that something goes wrong when I try to access
my Wide IBM SCSI-disk (IBM DGHS09U). It shows up mostly when I try to
mke2fs the drive, it hangs for 30-40 minutes on;

| Writing superblocks and filesystem accounting information:

When I strace the process, I see that it hangs when trying to close
the device. If I at this point type sync, the sync process also hangs,
but on sync(). And I can't terminate either process, not even with a
kill -9.

> i have the P2B-DS too, with one Ultra Wide (IBM DDRS-34560W) disk and one
> Narrow Pioneer CDROM (DR-U06S). i have not connected anything to the
> ultra2 interface, and i have no problems whatsoever. i am unsure what
> problems you are having, and am interested in finding out what is wrong..
> perhaps you should try turning on termination in the system BIOS?

My problems was with the scsi chain timing out every time it was
initialized, so the aic7xxx driver never got around to detect any
devices on it. Now, with the U2-interface terminated, I only get one
timeout and then it continues to boot. And this is regardless if I
turn on termination in the BIOS or not.

--
Jonas - http://poledra.coyote.org:8080/~jonas/