no luck with AIC7890 and X-Windows

Doug Ledford dledford at dialnet.net
Fri Aug 28 08:26:11 PDT 1998

Alex Farber wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am really envious when reading all the success messages in this list.
>
> I have an ASUS-mainboard with AIC7890 and an Ultra2 IBM disk. Also an IDE
> disk (where Red Hat 5.1 is installed) and Diamond V330 PCI-graphic card.
>
> I have tried pre6 and pre7 patches with 2.0.35-2 kernel and I can
> mount the /dev/sda1 (even with vfat) when using console. But when
> I start X-Windows, everything hangs and I see just black screen.
> X-Windows works fine with the same kernel w/o patches.
>
> What could it be? Is there maybe some connection between PCI and SCSI?
> I tried disabling/enabling different SCSI BIOS options - no luck.
>
> So, please don't stop working on the AIC7XXX patch.

This sounds like your video card and the aic7xxx controller have overlapping
IO regions.  Check the output of /proc/pci to make sure.  If you have to,
try moving the video card to a different PCI slot and resetting the PCI
configuration data in the motherboard BIOS.

--

 Doug Ledford  <dledford at dialnet.net>
  Opinions expressed are my own, but