Linux 5.1 and ASUS

Jeroen Massar jeroen at mitgroep.card.azr.nl
Thu Aug 27 00:00:37 PDT 1998

On Thu, 27 Aug 1998, David Matthew Johnson wrote:

> I am trying to install RedHat Linux 5.1 with the AHA 2490 and Linux is
> unable to find my CD-ROM (SCSI).  The SCSI works, because we have tested
> with a number of other methods and diagnostics; we can even boot to the
> RedHat CD; we just can't install.
>
> The initial boot loader does displays that has not detected any devices.
You mean the kernel which is on the redhat cd/boot disk.

> Is the driver outdated? Is there some BIOS setup that's needed? Any help
> would be greatly appreciated.  Is there a FAQ on Adaptec and Linux
> somewhere?
I don't use RedHat.... I use slackware, which is more "a-do-it-yourself"
and debian, which is redhat+packagemanagement done right and without the
holes... My debian hamm wouldn't install from the debian cd either... I
used a slackware 3.4 bootdisk for it and I used the root disk from debian
which allowed me to install it... You'll prolly can do something the same:

You should try and get your hands on a BOOT disk with aic7xxx scsi support.
Then create a ROOT disk with the RedHat installer on it... these should be
on the RedHat CD... also I thought Redhat was the best and easiest
installable linux distro... according to redhat that is... :)

Jeroen Massar