P2B-D or P2B-DS

Jeroen Massar jeroen at mitgroep.card.azr.nl
Tue Aug 25 03:48:46 PDT 1998

On Tue, 25 Aug 1998, ///ax Zuercher wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Aug 1998, Jeroen Massar wrote:
>
> > > You mean a BIOS upgrade or something OS related (such as drivers for
> > > NT,...)
>
> > No... I mean the linux kernel currently needs a patch so it knows
> > the aic7890... get it from ftp.dailnet.net/pub/linux/aic7xxx-README...
> > Then compile your Linux kernel with SMP on in the Makefile and voila :)
>
> Oh yes :) ! You are a Linux fan.
Yep... brainwashed to Unix :)

> Sorry about that "NT...": I saw many people talking about windoze...
> so....
> Thanks a lot for your advice.
> In facts I am very undecided about that.
> That mb and two cpus cost a lot of money, but I hav always dramt a SMP
> system...
Well I use NT as an X-Term with winamp support and for gaming and other
leisure :)

> > Well get some 266 just like me then :)
>
> Right!
>
> The last question: why DUAL cpu for you?
Well... simple... the price : fl 1800 for a P2B-DS and 2x 266mhz P2
That's cheaper than fl1600 for a single p2 400mhz... and even
cheaper than a AMD-K6-2 333mhz with a new board + seperate Diamond
Fireport U2W Dual... and yes I'm "just" a student... but I work
hard as a programmer in the Dijkzigt Hospital... currently on
a hartlung machine :) And I simply wanted as a friend of mine took
it too... and I wanted too upgrade anyway... and I can now quake
with softrender... till my mga g-200 arrives.... for the rest
I mostly "power computing" like rendering etc... so I kinda
need it :)

Greets,
 Jeroen Massar