aic7890, rh 5.1 install problem

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Mon Aug 24 18:27:37 PDT 1998

On Mon, 24 Aug 1998, Roddy McColl wrote:

> I have an ASUS P2B-S with the following devices (as reported by the
> Adaptec BIOS):
>   2 IBM DDRS 39130W (ULTRA2-SE) - on the Ultra 2 connector
>   1 HP DAT drive C1533A (Fast/ULTRA-SE) on the wide connector
>
> I have tried to use the rh 5.1 boot disks supplied by Tom Bylander
> (bylander at trurl.cs.utsa.edu) (pre6) and by Felix
> (felix at halef.rhrz.uni-bonn.de) and I find that I can get about 20-70
> MB into the install from the (ATAPI) cd-rom when the following fatal error
> is reported:
>
>  error 2 reading header: No such file or directory
>  install exited abnormally
>  sending termination signals ... done
>  sending kill signals ... done
>  unmounting file systems ... done
>  you may safely reboot your system
>
> Has anyone seen and solved this problem? Any other suggestions?

I don't profess to be an expert in this feild, I'm just sharing my experience/
success :)

I have to admit that I cheated to make it work.  I installed it in several
hits.

Install an IDE drive on the system
Install RH5.1 on the IDE drive.
	I made this a very basic system I unchecked everything except C devel
	Development libraries
Upgrade to K2.0.35 and source
Patch kernel, compile and install.
On next boot you should now see the SCSI drive(s)
then mount you scsi disks under
/mnt
/mnt/usr
/mnt/var

Then I used find . -print0 | cpio -0pduma /mnt (from the root directory)
I edited /mnt/etc/fstab to point to the correct filesystems etc etc
Once I'd done that I could then reboot.  At the LILO prompt I typed
linux root=/dev/sda1

Which booted and came up just fine :)
then I typed lilo (I needed to add "linear" to /etc/lilo.conf"
and from there the machine booted without trouble (no intervetion required)
Then I removed the IDE drive and disabled the controller and I haven't looked
back.

I know this is a very long winded way to install a system BUT it does work.

Yours Tony.