problem using the aha2940 card with linux 2.0.35

Tani Hosokawa unknown at virtualynx.com
Mon Aug 24 17:48:15 PDT 1998

Ok, I've got this server in a co-located office, which I don't really have
physical access to.  The only thing I have is a bunch of guys who can
reboot servers and follow simple instructions, like booting off a floppy.

The Slackware 3.5 AHA2940 boot disk works with this card (it's using a
2.0.34 kernel), however when I try to build a 2.0.35 kernel using the
AIC7xxx driver enabled, it doesn't work.  This is what /proc/pci reports
to me about the card:

PCI devices found:
  Bus  0, device  12, function  1:
    SCSI storage controller: Adaptec AIC-7895U (rev 4).
      Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  IRQ 10.  Master Capable.
Latency=32.  Min Gnt=8.Max Lat=8.
      I/O at 0xb000.
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xe3800000.
  Bus  0, device  12, function  0:
    SCSI storage controller: Adaptec AIC-7895U (rev 4).
      Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  IRQ 11.  Master Capable.
Latency=32.  Min Gnt=8.Max Lat=8.
      I/O at 0xb400.
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xe4000000.

The motherboard is (I believe) an Asus SP97.  Any idea as to what's wrong
with this thing?  The SCSINET boot disk (also Slackware 3.5) doesn't work,
btw.  It comes up with a kernel panic saying VFS can't mount root...

---
Tani Hosokawa