Moving drivers between kernels

Stephane Bortzmeyer stephane at sources.org
Mon Aug 24 13:01:16 PDT 1998

On Saturday 22 August 1998, at 16 h 10, the keyboard of
mark at vielle.datasys.net (Mark R. Lindsey) wrote:

> 2.0.33 has broken support for some 3Com PCI cards.

If it's the Boomerang/Vortex 3c9xx series, you can update the kernel with the
last version of the driver in <http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/vortex
.html> and it works fine.

> I did try this, however, by copying from 2.0.33 into 2.0.35;
> communications with SCSI tape devices is broken, with this attempt.

Sorry, I never tested with tapes, only with disks and CD-ROMs.

For *my* machines (your mileage may vary, etc), Adaptec driver 5.1presomething
seems to work far better than anything.