[Help] LILO problem.

Gary L. Hennigan glhenni at cs.sandia.gov
Fri Aug 21 12:31:13 PDT 1998

"christian.klein" <klein002 at bama.ua.edu> writes:
| snipped...
[It's a good idea to at least leave the authors ID's if you're going to
include text they wrote. Things get confusing otherwise.]
| Gary Hennigan wrote:
| > Hmm, I think what you want is boot=/dev/sda (Note, no "1"). You only
| > have Linux on this box right? And you have only a single SCSI disk, or
| > at least only SCSI disks, no IDE?
|
| Nope. Now, correct me if i'm wrong, but I believe that  sda is the raw
| device and refers to no partitions. if you only
| have one partition, it is still partion 1. Jeong,  How big is the disk?
| have you tried adding "linear" to lilo.conf for something like this:

Okay, I will. You're incorrect. The only time you want to use a
partition for "boot" is if you have another program to boot linux,
e.g., loadlin, boot manager, etc. Jeong, according to some email sent
to me, has a one-horse system, linux-only. In such a case he would
want LILO in the MBR of his boot disk, which I believe, on his system,
is /dev/sda.

Jeong, make sure you have a BIOS that can boot from the SCSI
disks. The only time I've seen the "LI" problem was when I was trying
to install the MBR on my mixed IDE/SCSI system and the BIOS couldn't
see the SCSI disks. It won't help you any, having only SCSI disks and
an IDE CDROM, but I had to install the LILO MBR on my IDE drive and
then I moved the entire /boot directory onto one of the IDE disks as
well.

According to the LILO manual only getting LI means, quoting:

   LI - The first stage boot loader was able to load the second stage
   boot loader, but has failed to execute it. This can either be
   caused by a geometry mismatch or by moving /boot/boot.b without
   running the map installer.

Good Luck!
Gary