[Help] LILO problem.

christian.klein klein002 at bama.ua.edu
Thu Aug 20 20:02:27 PDT 1998

snipped...
> | I successfully installed RedHat5.1. But When I reboot with LILO,
> | the system halted with message "LI".
> |
> | The next time, I booted with floppy, and upgrade kernel version 2.0.35
> | and compile the kernel.
> | But same problem is occured.
> |
> | * my 'lilo.conf' is below --------
> |
> |          boot=/dev/sda1
> |          map=/boot/map
> |          install=/boot/boot.b
> |          prompt
> |          timeout=5
> |          image=/boot/vmlinuz
> |          label=linux
> |          root=/dev/sda1
> |          read-only
> | ------------------------------
>
> Hmm, I think what you want is boot=/dev/sda (Note, no "1"). You only
> have Linux on this box right? And you have only a single SCSI disk, or
> at least only SCSI disks, no IDE?

Nope. Now, correct me if i'm wrong, but I believe that  sda is the raw
device and refers to no partitions. if you only
have one partition, it is still partion 1. Jeong,  How big is the disk?
have you tried adding "linear" to lilo.conf for something like this:

boot=/dev/sda2
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt