new kernel won't compile, help please

ajwilson at abingdon.postmaster.co.uk ajwilson at abingdon.postmaster.co.uk
Fri Aug 7 08:14:03 PDT 1998

Firstly, thanks for the advice i've already recieved from this mailing
list.

I've downloaded the pre-6 patch and the 2.0.35 kernel, and after many hours
of
fiddling finally managed to patch the kernel, get the configuration right
and
start to compile. As far as I can see, the whole thing compiled perfectly,
but
right at the end i got the following error message and it quit without
creating
the zImage file (actually it did create one of about 4k)-

tools/build bootsect setup compressed/vmlinuz.out Current > zImage
Root device is 3,2 **(when i tried again it said 0,0)**
Boot sector is 512 bytes
Setup is 4416 bytes
System is 509 KB
System is too big

And it quits saying error 2.

It's pretty obvious that it is trying to put the file in the boot sector,
and
this isn't big enough for the kernel. The question is, what do i do about
this?
I just _know_ im missing something obvious but i cant work out what, i've
read
all the readmes and howtos but they didn't say anything about this.

Please could someone help me with this, I think I'm almost there and I've
been
trying for hours (this is my first kernel compilation). I know this isn't
directly to do with the aic7xxx driver, but people on this list were very
helpful before, and at least if i get the kernel sorted out i can give some

feedback on whether the driver works with my ultra2 controller :)

Thanks again,

Alastair Wilson

we apologise for the inconvenience