P2B-S mainboard with 1 disk does not boot

Alex Farber alex at kawo2.rwth-aachen.de
Wed Aug 5 15:01:47 PDT 1998

Sascha Kettler wrote:
> You should not compile ELF-Binary support as a module or the kernel
> autoloader (which loads the modules) cannot start because it is in
> ELF format.

Thanks for your reply! It helped partly: I have recompiled the kernel
with a.out and ELF-support built-in instead of modules and when I booted
the screen was filled with the following message after some time:

(scsi0) SEQADDR=0x1ff
(scsi0) BRKADRINT error (0x50):
  Data-Path Ram Parity Error
  PCI Error detected

So I disabled the SCSI BIOS and when I rebooted, I was able to see my
SCSI drive mounted! But only in the virtual console - when I am trying
to start X-Windows, it shows me black screen (and CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE
does
not help). There seems to be some connection between X-Windows and this
crashing, because I had the same thing earlier, when I compiled kernel
with pre5 patch: I was able to "mount /dev/sda1 /diskc -t vfat" in the
console, but everything (even mouse) hung, when I did it in XTerm.

Greetings
Alex