Adaptec AIC7890 - AIC7xxxx (ahc) driver for Linux Slackware 3.5

mea at nic.funet.fi mea at nic.funet.fi
Sun Aug 2 08:32:32 PDT 1998

> Please can you you tell me where I can get hold of a driver for an Adaptec
> AIC7890 SCSI on Linux Slackware 3.5.
> There seems to be a version at:
> ftp://ftp.dialnet.net/pub/linux/aic7xxx/testing/ but I don't have access to
> a C compiler because I need the driver to install the O/S.

	So, what you are asking for is a new boot floppy which can
	boot with your current hardware ?

	You could ask  linux-kernel at vger.rutgers.edu -list for the help.
	(For somebody who has Slackware 3.5 running, and knows how to
	 make a boot-floppy for it.)

> I'm trying to install Slackware 3.5 on a new Dell PowerEdge Server 2300. It
> has an on-board AIC-7890 (for the hard-disk) and AIC-7860 (for the CD-Rom)
> on booting Slackware using the aha2x4x.s image. It detects the AIC-7860 and
> the CD-ROM but can't detect the
> AIC-7890 and  harddisk. The harddisk is on SCSI No. # 0. It's a Seagate
> ST34572wC Ultra2-SE
>
> The errors I get are in the attached file (errors.txt)
>
> Please help - I'd be very greatful if you could.
> Thanks
>
> Ben ( ben.lavender at cygnet.co.uk )

	Sorry I can't help.  Even though I have that lattest AIC driver
	in use, my system is Alpha...

	Living with bleeding edge hardware is something which you should
	not do, unless you have also a support machine with which you
	can bootstrap your main system.

	You could ask your vendor for borrowing an IDE or narrow-SCSI
	disk which works with the recognized hardware so you can boostrap
	your system.

/Matti Aarnio <mea at nic.funet.fi>