Duration of Blocked Interrupts

Justin T. Gibbs gibbs at narnia.plutotech.com
Tue Apr 28 20:52:38 PDT 1998

> Another sidenote: At my work, we use/sell SGI-computers. The O2 (the
> 'toaster') has both the aic7xxx-controller and a 100Mbitcard on a
> PCI-bus.
> Guess what?
> Problems. if (harddrive-usage >= 90% AND 100Mbit) then coredump.
> Why? Because the aic7xxx has a sort of 'ISA'-way of handling interrupts
> (And I quote an SGI-support engineer!),

The SGI-support engineer doesn't know what he's talking about.  There
is no hardware reason why you can't service aic7xxx chip interrupts
effeciently.  In the Pluto Video Disk Recorder, we have 20 aic7880 chips
spread amongst multiple PCI busses and can easily service them all and
run a 100MBit ethernet chip at a reasonable rate with a 100MHz Pentium.

--
Justin