Duration of Blocked Interrupts

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Tue Apr 28 14:19:57 PDT 1998

> Right, so a design spec is "no ISA cards in a high performance
> system";-).  The PCI specs make that pretty clear.  I'm afraid I do have
> a serial/modem card and a sound card on the ISA bus, but they are low
> interrupt density and I rarely use them.  Ditto "No IDE devices", right?

PCI bus IDE devices (and most chipset incorporated IDE devices) are pretty
decent and with hdparm -u1 or DMA driven transfers don't impact much. Sound
cards can be a pig on some older boards where slow ISA DMA cycles hold off
PCI. There is enough buffering in everything that it shouldnt every show
up as a problem

Alan