Duration of Blocked Interrupts

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Tue Apr 28 11:39:23 PDT 1998

On Tue, 28 Apr 1998, Alan Cox wrote:

> 100Mbit cards have ring buffers often of about 20 frames - just servicing
> a messier ISA interrupt will do as much delaying as the longer AIC handler
> paths.

Right, so a design spec is "no ISA cards in a high performance
system";-).  The PCI specs make that pretty clear.  I'm afraid I do have
a serial/modem card and a sound card on the ISA bus, but they are low
interrupt density and I rarely use them.  Ditto "No IDE devices", right?

   rgb

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu