Duration of Blocked Interrupts

Matthew Jacob mjacob at feral.com
Tue Apr 28 09:07:06 PDT 1998

Yes, this might be true. The only problem here is that in
looking over the version of the linux AIC stuff I have,
it *does* go to the effort to restore_flags in a number
of places so it doesn't lock out *everyone* for long periods
of time. That is, it locks out all interrupts briefly
(mostly to mark that it's servicing an interrupt), and
then it runs a while w/o. It blocks interrupts checking
for sequencer conditions (usually error cases), and also
while cleaning up after finishing. It then unblocks
interrupts before calling the linux midlayer to complete
(well done, actually).

By "blocking/unblocking" I mean higher level interrupts.
I could easily believe that if your network cards are
at lower or same irqs they might starve. But short
of doing some more clever thread managment, or doing
an explicit sti() in the SCSI midlayer, I doubt that this
is easily fixable.