Can't enable Ultra SCSI

Richard Padley richardp at macpress.demon.co.uk
Tue Apr 28 05:11:42 PDT 1998

Hi all,

Perhaps someone could help me with a problem I have. I cannot seem to
configure the AIC7xxx driver to work in Ultra SCSI mode. I have several
disks in the systm, one of which is Ultra SCSI (the Quantum fireball):

[root at macpress /root]# cat /proc/scsi/scsi
Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: QUANTUM  Model: LPS525S          Rev: 3110
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 00
  Vendor: CONNER   Model: CFA540S          Rev: 13B0
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 03 Lun: 00
  Vendor: QUANTUM  Model: LPS525S          Rev: 3110
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 06 Lun: 00
  Vendor: QUANTUM  Model: FIREBALL_TM3200S Rev: 300X
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02

The driver tells me it is not in Ultra SCSI mode:

[root at macpress /root]# cat /proc/scsi/aic7xxx/0
Adaptec AIC7xxx driver version: 4.0/3.2/4.0

Compile Options:
  AIC7XXX_RESET_DELAY    : 15
  AIC7XXX_TWIN_SUPPORT   : Enabled
  AIC7XXX_TAGGED_QUEUEING: Disabled
  AIC7XXX_PAGE_ENABLE    : Disabled
  AIC7XXX_PROC_STATS     : Disabled

Adapter Configuration:
          SCSI Adapter: AHA-2940A Ultra
                        (AIC-785x chipset)
              Host Bus: Single
               Base IO: 0x6000
                   IRQ: 12
                  SCBs: Used 3, HW 3, Page 3
            Interrupts: 3181041
         Serial EEPROM: True
  Extended Translation: Enabled
        SCSI Bus Reset: Enabled
            Ultra SCSI: Disabled
     Target Disconnect: Disabled

I have enabled Ultra SCSI in the BIOS setup page for the Adaptec card, for
both the controller and SCSI id 6 (the fireball).

I am running RedHat 4.2, using the initrd option to load the driver (?I
don't completely understand this?), and I have a lilo boot block on my IDE
drive to boot linux:

[root at macpress /root]# cat /etc/lilo.conf
boot=/dev/hda6
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=50
image=/boot/vmlinuz
        label=linux
        root=/dev/sdd1
        initrd=/boot/initrd
        read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz.orig
        label=orig
        root=/dev/sdd1
        initrd=/boot/initrd.orig
        read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz.orig
        label=recover
        root=/dev/hda6
        initrd=/boot/initrd.orig
        read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz.test
        label=test
        root=/dev/sdd1
        initrd=/boot/initrd.orig
        read-only

I have built a new initrd image, the configuration file is I believe:

[root at macpress /root]# cat /etc/conf.modules
alias scsi_hostadapter aic7xxx
options aic7xxx ultra
alias eth0 ne
options ne io=0x340 irq=10

I have also tried passing the aic7xxx=ultra option to LILO at boot time,
but to no avail. I have also tried setting all my SCSI devices in the
Adaptec BIOS page to Ultra mode, but this makes no difference.

Using hdparm -Tt I test my fast drive, and it is only marginally faster
than my existing SCSI drives, and actually significatly slower than my IDE
drive, so it seems clear that Ultra SCSI is not enabled.

Kernel version:

[root at macpress /root]# cat /proc/version
Linux version 2.0.30 (root at macpress.demon.co.uk) (gcc version 2.7.2.1) #2
Tue Au
g 19 17:25:11 BST 1997

Can anyone help?

-- Richard Padley, Consultant Programmer --
-- RDP Computing, 7 Whichelo Place       --
-- Brighton BN2 2XE, UK                  --
-- tel 01273 381069 / fax 01273 385049   --