SMP and the aic7xxx driver

Doug Ledford dledford at dialnet.net
Mon Apr 20 07:29:47 PDT 1998

Warren W. Thompson wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I am attempting to build an SMP version of kernel 2.0.33 for use with
> the aic7xxx driver. Unfortunately, following compilation I receive a
> panic message from the kernel after it loads the aic7xxx driver and
> attempts to poll the scsi chain.
>
> I have also tried building an SMP copy of kernel 2.1.95, but upon
> booting that kernal I get an error as follows...

> kernel_version needed, but can't be found
> kmod: failed to load module block-major-8
>
> I would be curious to know if anyone has had similar troubles with SMP
> and the aic7xxx driver, and I also welcome any and all suggestions.

I'm doing my primary aic7xxx work on an SMP PII system now.  It's working
great under both 2.0.33 and 2.1.9x as long as the kernel understands your
SMP motherboard.  I would suggest looking into building the aic7xxx driver
into your kernel (it leaks memory when unloaded as a module for one thing).
In any case, in order to be able to help you, I would need more information
about your configuration and the problems the driver is having.

--

 Doug Ledford  <dledford at dialnet.net>
  Opinions expressed are my own, but