Strange problem with new AHA-2940AU

Peter Pointner peter at wuzel.m.isar.de
Tue Apr 14 14:39:24 PDT 1998

On Sun, 12 Apr 1998, Doug Ledford wrote:

> Peter Pointner wrote:
> > The strange thing is: If I change the motherboard bios setting to 60 ns
> > DRAM chips, I do not get the timeouts. I usually set that to 70 ns to be
> > on the safe side. If I use an older 2940AU with an AIC-7861 Rev. 1 (and
> > BIOS 1.2x) I do not get timeouts with any DRAM timing.
>
> Although I can't answer the question entirely at this point, it is possible
> that the timeouts could be related to some other problems that were fixed in
> 5.0.11 and above.

Thanks for your quick response! I got 5.0.12, tried it, but: no change.

Does anybody else use an Adaptec 2940AU with AIC-7861 Revision 3? (cat
/proc/pci will tell you) I would like to hear some experiences, because I
have 15 identical boxes here. Last year we bought about 20 boxes which run
rock solid. The differences to the new boxes are: different memory
modules, the AIC chip revision, firmware revision of the disk drive, ...
You simply can't get the same box several months later ...

So, if you have any information for me, I'd be glad to get it!

Peter