Gigabyte DX586 and Quantum Fireball TM3200

Manfred Brands m.brands at fugro-intersite.nl
Wed Nov 26 00:45:25 PST 1997

Davi Antunes Lima wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Nov 1997, Eric Geyer wrote:
>

> > On 25-Nov-97 Holger Bauer wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > just subscribed to this list since I am not sure if the result of
> my
> > > hdparm -t /dev/sda1
> > >  .................... 2.95 MByte/s
> > >
> > > Could anybody with a Adaptec 2940 (7880) and a Quantum Fireball TM
>
> > > series disk send me his results on
> > > hdparm -tT /dev/sdXX
> > >
> > > ?
> > >
> > > After that I might complain to Quantum. Maybe anybody on this list
> who
> > > could test the Fireball w/ some other controller?
>
> salsa: /home/davi# hdparm -tT /dev/sda1
>
> /dev/sda1:
>  Timing buffer-cache reads:   32 MB in  1.25 seconds =25.60 MB/sec
>  Timing buffered disk reads:  16 MB in  5.74 seconds = 2.79 MB/sec
>
> I have that same figures, as you can see. It was unbelievable for me
> at
> first, but unfortunately the fireball is neither fast nor reliable. I
> intend to change the hole thing for a buslogic adapter and a western
> digital disk (7200 rpm).
>
> Davi

   My Gigabyte motherboard with dual pentium 166MHz MMX and an onboard
7880
does much better than this.

The figures below are rough estimates as I don't have the computer here
at work.

The original 2.0.30 kernel, did about 8MB/s, I had to specify
aic7xxx=ultra, to get 20.0MB/s
bus speed. Tagged queueing was disabled.

The latest 2.0.32 kernel, with tagged queuing enabled, does 'only'
6.7MB/s, still considerably
more than the figures you quoted.

Manfred.