AHA-398x PCI RAID question.

Mike Bilow mikebw at bilow.bilow.uu.ids.net
Fri Nov 7 10:21:43 PST 1997

Mark Swanson wrote in a message to Mike Bilow:

>  MS> Would anyone here know if that controller is in the AAA-133
>  MS> RAID controller Adaptec sells?
>
> As it happens, I was talking to an Adaptec representative the
> other day and had an AAA131 in my hands.  The chipset is
> AIC7880/AIC7810, which is pretty conventional, and a PCI bridge
> from DEC.  I have no idea what it looks like in software, but I
> would not be surprised if it is really close to an AHA2940.

 MS> Have you tried it under Linux yet? (or know of anyone who has?)

No, and my involvement was limited to what I could figure out in 10 minutes
with a pocket Mag Lite.  The board has a socket on it for a cache stick, either
2 MB or 4 MB.  There is a 29C512 EEPROM soldered on and a jumper -- the only
jumper -- next to it which probably enables flash upgrading.  There is also a
little Dallas chip that probably preserves state when the power is off.

It has the usual SCSI connectors like an AHA2940UW: one 68-pin internal, one
50-pin internal, and one 68-pin external.

-- Mike