Strange syslog messages with SCSI tape

Patrick J. LoPresti patl at lcs.mit.edu
Wed Jul 30 09:42:02 PDT 1997

Hello.  I am using the Jun2 aic7xxx driver with Linux 2.0.31-pre2.  We
have a SCSI tape drive which we use for nightly backups, and we are
getting syslog messages like the following:

	Jul 30 02:05:38 spd kernel: (scsi0:2:0) Target busy
	Jul 30 02:05:44 spd last message repeated 2144 times

Someone else is presently checking to see if the backups have been
working correctly...

What do these messages mean, exactly?  Are they just an artifact of
the tape being a slow device, or are they a sign that our backup
scripts are doing something "funny" ?

Most importantly, can they safely be ignored?

Thanks!

 - Pat