Boot errors?

Daniel M. Eischen deischen at iworks.InterWorks.org
Tue Dec 30 09:33:30 PST 1997

> I apologize in advance for this post, as I'm sure many have seen this
> question before (I'm new here).
>
> I just upgraded my Linux 2.1.57 box from the old AHA1542CF controller
> to the AHA2940UW. I rebuilt my kernel for AIC7XXX support somewhat
> blindly, not certain of which options to flag at config time, nor
> did I make any changes to lilo.conf. The kernel with AIC7XXX support in it
> lives at /vmlinuz, which lilo.conf points to.
>
> What I ended up with is a system that runs perfectly in all aspects
> of its operation, except booting, which I now have to do from floppy.
>
> Here's what I get at boot time when I try to let LILO boot from
> /dev/sda ...
>
>   LILO Loading Linux............
>   Uncompressing Linux...
>
>   ran out of input data
>

>    -- System halted

Have you tried building your kernel with an absolute minimum configuration?

ARe you trying to boot from the same disk drive that was attached
to your 1542, and is the extended translation setting the same
in the 2940 as it was in the 1542 (does the 1542 have extended
translation?)?

> Any clues what I need to do to get this puppy bootable from /dev/sda?
> Do I *really* have to manually terminate the 2940? If so, can someone
> give me the settings that work for them? I've experimented with settings
> and have gotten the same results.

Boot with verbose (aic7xxx=verbose) and verify the driver is
correctly detecting the cables.  Unless your plugging and
unplugging an external device on your system, I don't see
the advantage of auto-termination anyways.  Of course, I
also hate plug-n-pray and would rather have jumpers ;-)  It
sucks having to keep DOS around just to configure these
kind of devices.

Dan Eischen
deischen at iworks.InterWorks.org