Boot errors?

Jim Tison jtison at ibm.net
Tue Dec 30 07:59:01 PST 1997

I apologize in advance for this post, as I'm sure many have seen this
question before (I'm new here).

I just upgraded my Linux 2.1.57 box from the old AHA1542CF controller
to the AHA2940UW. I rebuilt my kernel for AIC7XXX support somewhat
blindly, not certain of which options to flag at config time, nor
did I make any changes to lilo.conf. The kernel with AIC7XXX support in it
lives at /vmlinuz, which lilo.conf points to.

What I ended up with is a system that runs perfectly in all aspects
of its operation, except booting, which I now have to do from floppy.

Here's what I get at boot time when I try to let LILO boot from
/dev/sda ...

  LILO Loading Linux............
  Uncompressing Linux...

  ran out of input data

   -- System halted

Here's what the aic7xxx driver reports when I boot from floppy:
aic7xxx: <Adaptec AHA-294X Ultra SCSI host adapter> at PCI 13
aic7xxx: Warning - detected auto-termination.  Please verify driver
         detected settings and use manual termination if necessary.
aic7xxx: BIOS enabled, IO Port 0xf800, IO Mem 0xfffbf000, IRQ 11, Revision C
aic7xxx: Wide Channel, SCSI ID 7, 16/255 SCBs, QFull 16, QMask 0x1f
scsi0 : Adaptec AHA274x/284x/294x (EISA/VLB/PCI-Fast SCSI) 4.1/3.2
scsi : 1 host.
scsi0: Scanning channel A for devices.
  Vendor: SEAGATE   Model: ST43400N          Rev: 1028
Detected scsi disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
  Vendor: IBM       Model: DSAS-3540     !W  Rev: S47Y
Detected scsi disk sdb at scsi0, channel 0, id 1, lun 0
  Vendor: SONY      Model: CD-ROM CDU-76S    Rev: 1.1c
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Detected scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 2, lun 0
  Vendor: NEC       Model: D3825             Rev: 0410
Detected scsi disk sdc at scsi0, channel 0, id 3, lun 0
scsi : detected 1 SCSI cdrom 3 SCSI disks total.
SCSI device sda: hdwr sector= 512 bytes. Sectors= 5688447 [2777 MB] [2.8 GB]
SCSI device sdb: hdwr sector= 512 bytes. Sectors= 1056768 [516 MB] [0.5 GB]
SCSI device sdc: hdwr sector= 512 bytes. Sectors= 1427328 [696 MB] [0.7 GB]
This information is all correct. Auto-termination *is* on, BTW.

Any clues what I need to do to get this puppy bootable from /dev/sda?
Do I *really* have to manually terminate the 2940? If so, can someone
give me the settings that work for them? I've experimented with settings
and have gotten the same results.

Thanks in advance!!

--Jim--
| James S. Tison                   |