Speaking of onboard SCSI controllers

Alex garbanzo at hooked.net
Sun Dec 28 12:32:34 PST 1997

This isn't really FreeBSD/Linux related, however here are my questions
anyways.  I've heard that an Adaptec 2940 (the PCI card ;-) ) has three
connectors (one external, two internal), and only one of the internal
conncetors can be used at a time.  I've noticed on my generic motherboard,
there are two SCSI connectors (one narrow, one wide).  As I'm in the
market for a ZIP drive, I was wondering if I can connect the three
internal (narrow) devices on one connector with my existing three
connector cable, and hook up an external device (with the little thingy
the reseller gave me) to the second connector (at the same time).
Secondly, I was curious how one would assign devices to the upper SCSI ids
(>7), since the 7880 seems to support ids up to about 14 or so.  The
drives I've looked at (external CDs, and a few narrow internal HDDs) a few
years *grin* back only seemed to go from 0 to 6 or 7.

- alex