AHA-2930 with Linux?

Daniel M. Eischen deischen at iworks.InterWorks.org
Thu Dec 4 14:31:02 PST 1997

Doug Ledford wrote:
> On 04-Dec-97 Brian Ristuccia wrote:
> >On Thu, 4 Dec 1997, A James Lewis wrote:
> >>
> >> On another point, version 4.1 of the driver (linux 2.0.31+) as opposed to
> >> 4.0 does not work on my configuration if I have my HP scanner attached...
> >> 4.0 works flawlessly? any ideas?  I'm currently running 2.0.32 patched
> >> back to the older version of the driver...
> >>

> >Hmm... My 2940 doesn't work right with my HP scanner under Linux 2.0.32
> >(just resets the SCSI bus forever), but works flawlessly with 2.0.29. Any
> >idea what could be going on? Could I have the diff you used to back down
> >2.0.32's aic7xxx driver to the older version, or the procedure you used?
>
> This, again, is a termination issue.  I would try to find out what your
> termination settings currently are for both the internal and external
> devices to make sure it's correct.

It may not be a termination issue.  I don't think the older drivers
caught a SCSI bus reset (ENSCSIRST?) whereas the new driver does.
These scanners seem to cause the controller to think the bus was
reset (unless the scanners are actually resetting the bus!).  A
SCSI bus reset at device probe time gives the driver all sorts
of problems.

I don't know what causes the reset to occur, but take good look
at the scanner, termination, and the cables.

Dan Eischen
deischen at iworks.InterWorks.org