kernel stack corruption...aiee...

Doug Ledford dledford at dialnet.net
Thu Dec 4 12:30:23 PST 1997

On 04-Dec-97 Tanvir Hassan wrote:
>I have a 2940AU with 1.21 bios.  I just got the Slackware 3.3 Linux and
>when
>I installed it I got constant kernel stack corruption errors.  So I went
>to the web to download other kernels to see if I could get an older more
>stable kernel so I could build a newer kernel.  Well, ALL of them get
>the kernel stack corruption!
>
>I saw in a newsgroup that other people in the aic7xxx linux realm have
>gotten
>these stack corruptions, so I assume it is a buggy scsi driver.  I noticed
>that there have been several bug fixes (off by 1 memory overwrite, serious
>memory overwrite problems in aic7xxx_proc.c, etc) to the 2.0.32 kernel
>but I cannot build because my kernel has stack corruptions and cannot
>build itself (Help! I've fallen and I can't "make zImage"! :-).
>
>Where can I get a 2.0.32 kernel that might fix my problem?  Or are the
>bug fixes a red herring and I have more serious problems in my computer?

The stack usage of the aic7xxx driver by itself is not all that large.
However, there are other large stack consumers in the linux kernel.  Last I
recall, the de4x5 driver, the umsdos filesystem driver, and maybe a few
others were large consumers of the stack.  It could very well be that some
combination of these is overflowing your stack page.  What filesystems do
you use and what network drivers?

E-Mail: Doug Ledford <dledford at dialnet.net>
Date: 04-Dec-97
Time: 14:28:36