2940 2.0.32 and odd behaviour

Mike Isely isely at enteract.com
Thu Dec 4 11:25:21 PST 1997

On Thu, 4 Dec 1997, Jason Venner wrote:

> I recently did a major upgrade on my 2.0.24 linux box.
> I went from a P150 to a k6-200 and 2.0.24 to 2.0.32
>
> I now have some very odd disk behaviour. Disk IO seems slower, and
> tasks seem to run at variable speeds.
> for instance, I like to play xboing, it used to be very smooth, now
> the ball slows down and speeds up as it goes.
>
> It is very odd. I did enable tagged queuing and SCB paging.
>
> Is this unrelated to my disks?

Perhaps something's running around in the kernel for longer periods with
interrupts turned off.  What does "top" show you?  Are you spending lots
of time in kernel mode?

I remember there was some talk about this a while ago with the SCSI
driver.  Ring any bells anyone?

    POSITIVELY NO       |                             | 03 54 43 4D 75 E5 CC 92
 UNSOLICITED JUNK MAIL! |   isely @ pobox (dot) com   | 71 16 01 E2 B5 F5 C1 E8
                        |   (spam-foiling  address)   |