Strange problem in Current with Pear.

eculp at bafirst.com eculp at bafirst.com
Sat Jun 4 01:40:06 GMT 2005

Quoting Manfred Antar <null at pozo.com>:

> At 05:23 PM 6/3/2005, eculp at bafirst.com wrote:
>> Quoting Thierry Thomas <thierry at FreeBSD.org>:

>>> Edwin,
>>>
>>> Could you please create a package (with `pkg_create -b') on a machine
>>> without the problem, transfer this package on a machine with the
>>> problem, and install this package (with pkg_add). Then we will know if
>>> the problem depends on the build conditions or on the runtime
>>> environment.
>>
>> Yes, of course, Thierry.  First I'm trying to understand why I am
>> now down from 2 of 5 working to 1 of 5 working and without touching
>> php, pear or apache.  The only thing that I did on the one that no
>> longer works was run portupgrade -a , mergemaster and reset the
>> machine to run today's kernel.  The one left that works has an old
>> kernel from May 19 that I am now backing up and will copy to one of
>> the machines that doesn't work just for kicks.  I can't imagine that
>> the kernel is the problem but hope springs erternal, as they say ;)
>
> It probably is the kernel.
> Read  /usr/src/UPDATING, there was a change:
>
> 20050528:
>        Kernel parsing of extra options on '#!' first lines of shell
>        scripts has changed.

Manfred, you are correct.  Now to figure out how to fix it.  I read
updating and http://people.freebsd.org/~gad/Updating-20050528.txt but
either they weren't clear or I need some rest, probably the latter.  I
did try it quickly with tcsh and /bin/sh, I use ksh but with no results
from any of the three. I'll try at it again in the morning.  At least
after a week I now know what the problem is :) Thanks again to you and
Thierry.  If someone has a quick and dirty solution, it would be
appreciated.

ed