Re: Fix the restart button

From: Baptiste Daroussin <bapt_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2023 17:09:31 UTC
Le 23 avril 2023 18:40:53 GMT+02:00, Graham Perrin <grahamperrin@freebsd.org> a écrit :
>On 16/06/2022 08:29, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have stolen this patch from OpenBSD, which was done to please pledge, but in
>> the end fixes the restart button.
>>
>> https://bapt.nours.eu/patch-xpcom_build_BinaryPath.h
>>
>> If my investigation is right, firefox when one click on the restart button (in
>> case of upgrade) will call for the sysctl KERN_PROC_PATHNAME, which will return
>> en empty value, because the binary has been unlinked and replace by the new one.
>> (the behaviour is different on linux here) but forcing the path at buildtime
>> make it work reliably and at least here, it makes the restart button working
>> reliably
>>
>> note that it needs a post-patch target to replace %%PREFIX%% in
>> xpcom/build/BinaryPath.h file.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Bapt
>
>Hi
>
>With Firefox 112.0.1_1,2, I can not find a restart button in toolbar customisation preferences.
>
>Is the patch intended to make visible and/or functional a button that already exists in Firefox? Or intended to add a button, a feature request?

When firefox is running  when being upgraded, then if you open a new tab, a restart button appears instead of the rendered page. If you click it now it just kills firefox and never restart it. The same similar fix is applied on openbsd... The patch probably does not apply any more and given the maintainers did not show any interest I will not update it.

Bapt