Seeking 6.4 make source for ports

Mike Pumford mpumford at mpcdata.com
Thu Jun 21 08:23:53 UTC 2012

Michael R. Wayne wrote:

> Upgrading a port can be done without rebooting the machine. Upgrading
> the O/S is a MUCH more major undertaking and is almost never a "clean"
> process. Plus the time investment multiplied by many machines is huge
> (and dreaded).

6.x->7 was pretty painless. The machine was down for about 20mins while
I did the installkernel/installworld step. I was in a bit of a rush so I
didn't do the full mergemaster on /etc at that point in time and the
only quirk I saw was a PAM auth warning in the log that didn't impact
anything in the configuration I was using. This was fixed when I did the
mergemaster on /etc (which I did on a snapshot later). At this point in
time the machine was still running ports compiled in the 5.x timeframe.
I then created a chroot environment to do the ports update in.

Mike
--
Mike Pumford, Senior Software Engineer
MPC Data Limited