Boot hangs on v9 system at CD device probe

Marius Strobl marius at alchemy.franken.de
Thu Jun 14 22:28:59 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 03:17:47PM -0700, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 9, 2012 at 3:29 PM, Marius Strobl <marius at alchemy.franken.de> wrote:

> >> Will do. It will be a couple of days, though, as I am currently in the
> >> process of updating the 1000 ports installed on that system for the
> >> major version update. When that is complete, I'll try to get to the
> >> location of the system and see if it does the job. Mondy has several
> >> meetings, so it will probably be at least Tuesday.
> >
> > No hurry ...
>
> I installed the patch and it worked. 9.0-Stable system with ATA_CAM
> and cdrom now boot correctly.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Will this be committed to head and MFCed soon?

I've committed it to head in r237107 as a band-aid for now as it's a
sufficiently severe problem. Obviously, fixing ATA_CAM to not break
ATAPI CAM instead is the right thing to do. I've already spent quite
some time trying to find the underlying but didn't get anywhere with
that so far though (granted, most of that wasted time was because of
me thinking that this would be due to an endian bug only seen on big
endian machines, which turned out to not be the case). AFAICT, mav@
also has ALI hardware affected by this issue, maybe he'll have a
look at it eventually ...

Marius