su problem

Daniel Braniss danny at cs.huji.ac.il
Thu Jun 14 10:10:55 UTC 2012

> On 6/10/12 1:52 PM, Daniel Braniss wrote:
> >> Sami Halabi <sodynet1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>  > Hi Oliver,
> >>  > I saw you had similar problem for console on 2010
> >>  > http://freebsd.1045724.n5.nabble.com/Serial-console-problems-with-stab=le-8-td3950684.html
> >>
> >> No, I don't think that the problem is related.  My problem
> >> was with the serial console, while you don't have a serial
> >> console attached at all (at least you didn't mention it).
> >>
> >>  > but the thread wasn't ended by recommendation or conclusions by you.
> >>  >
> >>  > did you solve that problem then?
> >>
> >> No, I came to the conclusion that the serial console support
> >> in FreeBSD 8 was broken somehow.  So I removed the console
> >> cable; it's running with an old VGA CRT as the console for
> >> now.  Fortunately I require console access very seldom, so
> >> I don't have to drive to that machine often.  It's still
> >> annoying, but I didn't find a better solution; downgrading
> >> to 7.x isn't an option.
> >>
> > just for the record, serial on 8.x works fine! the device naming has changed
> > from sio to uart, and maybe some features. We use it on all our servers, even
> > redirecting it where possible via ILO,IMPI,DRAC.  and is great for debuging
> > or saving long trips :-)
> >
> > WARNING: control access to these devices, specialy since root can login
> > on the console!
> >
> > danny
> >

> Daniel, would you kindly elaborate on the DRAC console redirection thingy ?
>
> We're using Dells here and I loathe having to use their web interface
> and the java app to get a console shell.

you need the drac module - sometimes it's optional, but if you can access it
via the web
you probably have it.

you will have to:
	set the bios to allow serial over ethernet, I can't remember off heart at the
moment.
	configure /boot/loader.conf:
		console="comconsole,vidconsole"
		comconsole_speed="38400" 	-- the speed is what you set it in the bios
	configure /boot/device.hints:
		hint.uart.0.flags="0x10"	-- or .1. depending on the bios settings

	install from ports sysutils/ipmitools
	connect the ethernet port
and finaly:
	ipmitool -A MD5 -H c <hostname.drac> -U root -I lanplus sol activate

danny