kern/157863: [geli] kbdmux prevents geli passwords from being entered properly on boot

Fabian Keil freebsd-listen at fabiankeil.de
Wed Jun 13 13:03:14 UTC 2012

Thomas Steen Rasmussen <thomas at gibfest.dk> wrote:

> Just to let everyone know that this is still an issue.
>
> I am trying to install FreeBSD 9.0 amd64 on a Lenovo X121e and I
> can't get it to accept the geli passphrase during boot. I've confirmed
> using kern.geom.eli.visible_passphrase=1 that the passphrase is
> correct, and the same passphrase is accepted when the system is
> booted up.
>
> I've tried disabling kbdmux in /boot/device.hints like the PR said,
> but that didn't help. I also tried disabling atkbd and atkbdc without
> any luck, infact I couldn't type anything at all when disabling those.

If disabling kbdmux doesn't help, it sounds like a different issue to me.

> Any hints or suggestions to what I might try ? I have another 9-stable
> laptop that mounts a geli volume at boot, no idea why that one works
> and this new one doesn't.

Are you using the password together with a keyfile?

I've misconfigured the keyfile in loader.conf in the past,
which results in the valid password not being accepted.

Obviously the setup then magically works later on when the
keyfile is specified correctly on the command line.

If you aren't using keyfiles, you could try setting up an USB
stick with geli, to confirm that the same media works on one
laptop, but doesn't on the other.

Fabian