Netflix's New Peering Appliance Uses FreeBSD

Daniel Kalchev daniel at digsys.bg
Thu Jun 7 09:09:53 UTC 2012

On 06.06.12 03:16, Scott Long wrote:

[...]
> Each disk has its own UFS+J filesystem, except for
> the SSDs that are mirrored together with gmirror.  The SSDs hold the OS image
> and cache some of the busiest content.  The other disks hold nothing but the
> audio and video files for our content streams.

Could you please explain the rationale of using UFS+J for this large
storage. Your published documentation states that you have reasonable
redundancy in case of multiple disk failure and I wonder how you handle
this with "plain" UFS. Things like avoiding hangs and panics when an
disk is going to die.

Daniel