VIA M1000 mini-itx system installation woes - WRITE_DMA error - cabling?

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Thu Apr 28 23:57:52 PDT 2005

In message: <20050427104015.GB5585 at empiric.icir.org>
            Bruce M Simpson <bms at spc.org> writes:
: On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 10:11:16AM +0200, Arjan Van Leeuwen wrote:
: > After you've installed the system, insert that line into
: > /boot/loader.conf, and load up "atacontrol mode 0 udma33 udma33" as
: > early as possible during the boot (try using /etc/rc.early, for
: > example) to get it up to speed again.
:
: Some drives have firmware tweaks downloadable from the manufacturer which
: can be used to force the drive to never negotiate a faster data rate than
: UDMA33 (or whatever the cable you are using is capable of). I'm thinking
: of Samsung in particular here.
:
: However, I agree, this is *annoying*; I don't know of 80 + 4 conductor cables
: for 2.5" ATA drives. If anyone knows of such things then please do let me
: know, as I've had significant problems with a development system at work which
: is Mini-ITX form factor based with a 2.5" drive.

FWIW, my laptop successfully copes:

ad0: 57231MB <TOSHIBA MK6022GAX HB002A> at ata0-master UDMA100

that's a 2.5" drive.  I believe that a standard 40 -> 44 connector
connected on an 80 pin cable would do the trick.  I know I've had some
success with that here at work.

Warner