strangeness about netstat -m and mbuf clusters

Oliver Brandmueller ob at e-Gitt.NET
Wed Apr 13 03:51:32 PDT 2005

Hi Kris.

On Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 03:21:58AM -0700, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> See the errata for 5.3, this is still true for later versions.

Err, OK, sorry.

> > On all the machines where this happens I also see, that I cannot use vi
> > to edit a file on an NFS filesystem. vi simply does nothing, it hangs
> > and cannot be killed or only after a long time. Using truss is not
> > possible: "truss: PIOCBIS: Inappropriate ioctl for device" (procfs is
> > mounted). Using another editor (vim for example) works as expected.
>
> Sounds like rpc.lockd is not set up on client and/or server.

rpc.lockd / rpc.statd were set up and were running on both client and
server. And it had been working before.

Well the actual problem was, that on the server the processes were still
there, but the lockd didn't work anymore. After restarting the lockd
there everything worked again. Thanx for the pointer!

Now we start going for the rest of all the strange things :-)

- Oliver

--
| Oliver Brandmueller | Offenbacher Str. 1  | Germany       D-14197 Berlin |
| Fon +49-172-3130856 | Fax +49-172-3145027 | WWW:   http://the.addict.de/ |