SuperMicro X5DP8-G2MB/(2)XEON 2.4/1GB RAM 5.4-S Freeze

Don Bowman don at SANDVINE.com
Tue Apr 12 07:40:13 PDT 2005

From: Marc Olzheim
> On Mon, Apr 11, 2005 at 10:12:32PM -0400, Aaron Summers wrote:
> > We have a SuperMicro X5DP8-G2 Motherboard, 2xXEON 2.4, 1GB
> RAM server
> > running 5.4-STABLE that keeps freezing up.  We have
> replaced RAM, HD,
> > SCSI controller, etc.  To no avail.  We are running SMP GENERIC
> > Kernel.  I cannot get the system to panic, leave a core
> dump, etc.  It
> > just always freezes.  The server functions as a web server in a
> > HSphere Cluster.  I am about out of options besides loading 4.11
> > (since our 4 series servers never die).  Any help, feedback, clues,
> > similar experiences, etc would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > On SCSI:  The onboard Adaptec 7902 gives a dump on bootup
> but appears
> > to work.  I read the archived post about this issue.  The
> system still
> > locked up with an Adaptec 7982B that did not give this message.

The problem is with the periodic SMM interrupt and the bios.

The attached program (ich-periodic-smm-disable.c) will fix the problem.
For more information on what it does, see the Intel ICH3 datasheet.

compile as 'gcc ich-periodic-smm-disable.c; ./a.out' and you will be
good.
Run this on each boot.

I think you only need to clear PERIODIC_EN.

--don