ACPI on nForce3 Ultra works partially

Siavosh Benabbas sbenabas at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 15:51:47 PDT 2005

Hello list,
I have an amd64 cpu on a K8NS Ultra939 board with the nForce3 Ultra
chipset running 5.3-RELEASE. I heard that it wouldn't work with ACPI
enabled unless I disabled I/O APIC in the bios and as my bios doesn't
give me such freedom I used to disable ACPI. Yesterday I tried to
compile the kernel with the attached config file and it worked
partially with ACPI enabled. The machine didn't hang as it use to do,
it responded to ping, and I could login using SSH, but nothing apart
from the kernel logs where printed on the screen after the file system
tests, the keyboard worked as I could login, and add someone to the
sudoers list so that I could su to root from my ssh shell. I even
rebuilt kernel remotely and their was no stability problem. There use
to be some strange kernel logs though about processes with negative
times or something like that. I have attached the output of dmesg
right after a successfull but and during the rebuilt of kernel
note that the kernel complains about a lot of processes having
negative runtimes.
Is this expected/known?
Can someone with nForce3 Ultra chipset use the siavosh.kernelconfig
file and see if he/she gets similar results?
Thanks in advance,
Siavosh Benabbas