which port would install bin/foo

Vasil Dimov vd at datamax.bg
Mon Nov 21 02:16:34 PST 2005

Thanks for all your answers.

Some time ago, when I faced this I wrote a sh script (~20 lines) that did
find -name pkg-plist and make -V PLIST_FILES, storing the results in
one flat text file of the form category/port:file, suitable for latter
grep-ing. The result was 65M text file, containing 1230504 lines.

Now I think on writing a more advanced tool, that would store the
results in a more efficient way and would provide something like:

portsearch -f bin/foo

I thought on extending `make search' with file= or building a database
that can be used by pkg_info -W, but for different resons rejected these
ideas.

--
Vasil Dimov