gui-free torrent

Brandon D. Valentine brandon at dvalentine.com
Thu Nov 10 13:48:49 PST 2005

On Tue, Nov 08, 2005 at 10:29:10PM -1000, Randy Bush wrote:
> it seems to me that the best operating mode would be to have a
> torrent client/server in the rack.  then, when i want some new
> file, i can ask the torrent client in the rack to fetch (and
> subsequently serve) it.  when it has been fetched, i can rsync
> it to my laptop, burning the scarce bandwidth only once.
>
> for that, a pretty simple gui-free client/server would seem
> appropriate.  rtorrent looks a fit, but i am having my usual
> 'the moon is in klutz' problems.

Randy,

For better or worse (shame about the Java) Azureus is, on any platform,
pretty much the best torrent client.  Provided you are willing to run
Xvfb somewhere to run Azureus, you can use the WebUI plugin[0] to
accomplish your goal.  That's probably what I would do in your
situation.  Any lesser or simpler client and you're eventually going to
wish for some feature you're used to from Azureus.

[0] - http://azureus.sourceforge.net/plugin_details.php?plugin=webui

HTH,

Brandon
--
Pseudo-Random Googlism:  cranberry sauce is an uncooked relish